Health Systems Strengthening for Universal Health Coverage
Universal health coverage (UHC) is about ensuring all people get the quality health services they need, without experiencing financial hardship.
Universal health coverage can only be achieved if there are sufficient health workers, medicines. Sound health policies and health financing strategies are essential, to ensure that no one is impoverished as a result of the costs of health care, and that the resources are used efficiently and fairly. As countries strive at attain universal health coverage they must be able to measure and monitor their progress, and have robust accountability mechanisms in place.
Moving towards UHC is a gradual process, but it is something every country can do.
The Department of Health Systems Development (HSD) supports Member States with improving their health systems towards achieving universal health coverage. UHC is central in achieving the health Sustainable Development Goal and is one of WHO's flagship initiatives in the South-East Asia Region with a focus on the health workforce and access to medicines.
- Monitoring progress on UHC and the health-related SDGs in the SEA Region: 2019 update
- Primary Health Care at forty: reflections from South-East Asia, 2018
- Monitoring progress on UHC and the health-related SDGs in the SEA Region: 2018 update
- Decade for health workforce strengthening in the SEAR 2015–2024: 2nd review of progress, 2018
- UHC Brochure, 2018
- UHC Technical brief - Strengthening health information systems, 2017
- Equitable access to medicines for Universal Health Coverage by 2030, 2017
- Improving access to medicines in the South-East Asia Region, 2017
- Monitoring Health in the Sustainable Development Goals, 2017
- TRIPS, intellectual property rights and access to medicines, 2017
- Tracking Universal Health Coverage- First Global Monitoring Report, 2015
Tools for data collection and analysis
- Universal Health Coverage
- Equitable Access to Quality Services
- Financial Protection
- Measurement and Accountability for Results